Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Linked List of Hover Menus

Say I have a hover panel with a bunch of links. When the user hovers over a link, the same hover panel should appear with the same links, and again when the user hovers over a link, the panel appears for the 3rd time, and so on...

For example, say my Panel has Links A, B, C, D, and E. If the user hovers over link B, a panel should appear with the links A, B, C, D, and E. Again, say if the user clicks on link C, the panel appears again with the same links...this way the user can form a linked list of items that were hovered over. For example, B-->C-->A-->D. When the user final clicks on a link (instead of simply hovering), that would signal the end, and a reference to the linked list (B-->C-->A-->D) needs to be posted back to the server.

My questions are:

1. How do I achieve this dynamic hover menu effect?

2. How can I maintain the list of links that were hovered over each panel, so that I can finally postback the set of links hovered over to the server.

I'd appreciate if anyone could help me on this. I am creating a website that needs this functionality.

Thanks!

This sounds like it may get more complicated than you want. I'd look at maybe creating the hover behaviors on the client so that you can handle the arbitrary nesting that results after the user makes a few choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment